DISCLAIMER: This post is being written in August 2021 in the middle of the Delta variant surge of COVID- 19 coronavirus cases. New medical, political and regulatory information about this global pandemic is being released on almost a weekly basis so this post may not be entirely up-to-date.
Please call us at (855) 282-7243 to speak with an attorney for a free, confidential consultation about the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 and your VA disability claim.
Backlog of claims at the VA
As of November 2020, there has been a backlog of about 300,000 new disability claims at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
However, as of June 2021, approximately 191,000 disability claims were considered backlogged, meaning they have been pending for four months or more at the Regional Office (RO) level. The VA has acknowledged that it is unlikely to return to pre-pandemic levels until late in 2022.
What’s the hold up at the VA?
- New Claims – Congress recently allowed veterans to file claims for post-9/11 era veterans exposed to burn pits and other toxic substances. Additionally, VA is beginning to process claims for three new Agent Orange presumptions mandated by Congress.
- NPRC Backlog – There is a backlog at the NPRC. Click here form more information.
- – thousands of veterans have been waiting up to a year for their requests to be processed, leaving them unable to obtain service personnel and service medical records
- 3rd Party C&P Examiners – Inefficiencies in scheduling veterans with Third Party Contract C&P Examiners who are unqualified or poorly trained requires additional exam appointments.
- BVA hearings backlogged – The Board of Veterans’ Appeals (BVA) has had a backlog in pending hearing requests for both appeals in the Legacy system and in the Appeals Modernization Act (AMA) system. Click here for more information.
How can you help me with my disability claim?
Geraty Holub and MacQueen can help you at with you appeal an adverse VA disability claim: from Rating Decision to BVA hearing, to the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. The VA has a long way to go to catch up and reduce the backlog of claims and appeals at almost every level. We can help you keep your claim on track during this frustrating process.
We can ensure that the forms you file out and evidence submitted are accurate and will give you the best chance of success on your VA disability claim. We have helped Virginians win disability benefits since 1981.
Call us today at (855) 282-7243 for a free, confidential consultation to see if we can help you. Remember, there’s no fee unless we win. It’s about dignity.